The Maas Building, originally built in 1859 as the Charles Maas Brewery, later became a trolleycar repair shop for the Girard St trolley line. In 2008, the building had fallen into disrepair and was in use as storage for an architectural salvage business. A giant hole in the roof had caused a lot of water damage and one of the main trusses had failed. The original facade was boarded up.
Ben and Catherine bought the building in 2008 and began to nurse it back to life. A structural engineer was brought in to fix the broken truss, a new roof was put on, and gradually the Maas Building began to awaken into it’s new existence. Using reclaimed wood and industrial materials, the Maas Building’s rehab was designed to incorporate modern ideas into the existing industrial structure: the facade is a combination of old arched windows and modern glass and steel design, the floors are polished concrete outfitted with radiant heat tubing, and a common entryway and kitchen area have soaring high ceilings that expose the building’s industrial past.
Today, the Maas Building is in use as an arts space, cultural entity and event hall for many types of arts activities. With private workspaces as well as public venues, The Hi5 Recording Studio, Hi5 Video and The 5th Side all call the Maas Building home.